By Dr. Donald Whitchard
If you have not read part one, you can find it here:
It has been some time since I last ventured into examining the prophecy of Isaiah 52 and 53. This story reveals someone who is unique in the history of Israel. Attention now turns to the One called the servant of Jehovah. These Scriptures describe the mission and ministry of One who will bear the sins of the people. Scholars have called Isaiah 52:13-15 and Chapter 53 “the fifth gospel”, for it shows the work of none other than the Lord Jesus Christ.
Chapter 52:13-15 and all of Chapter 53 belong as one narrative concerning the work of the Messiah. This passage of Scripture has opened the eyes of many as to the direct prophecy of who Jesus is and what He has done for us. It is worth carefully examining. 52:13 reads as follows: “Behold, My Servant shall deal prudently (quickly). He shall be exalted and extolled and be very high”. What does this mean? Here are four observations gleaned from this passage:
- The Servant shall deal with all things in order and stability. Nothing will escape His attention.
- The Messiah’s reign will be exalted by all peoples under His eternal reign. His people will gladly obey Him in the eternal state.
- His majesty will be high in all aspects. He is the exalted King for all eternity.
- His time will come at his pleasure.
Look at verse 14: “Just as many were astonished at You, so His visage was marred more than any man, and His form more than the sons of men.” In reading this passage, I have come to make four distinct observations:
- The sight of the Servant will astonish the people. No one will expect His looks to be less than wondrous.
- The Servant will be wounded to the point where He is unrecognizable.
- His appearance will be more marred than any other person in the world.
- The Servant’s looks will turn people away. The mission is what is important.
In conclusion, we turn to verse 15: “So shall He sprinkle many nations. Kings shall shut their mouths at Him. For what had been told them they shall see, and what they had not heard they will consider.” This deals with the work of the Servant in the future, and we finish with four other observations:
- The Servant’s rule will be absolute over His elect nations.
- The rulers of the earth shall be silent before Him, such is His majesty.
- The rulers will be witness to the glorifying works of God.
- The rulers will consider and meditate upon what has been revealed by the Servant.
The rulers will be subjects to the Servant, who is the promised King of His people. This shows the ultimate rule of the Lord Jesus Christ. We’ll be examining Chapter 53 in installments of three verses apiece and see how this prophecy can fit no one but our Lord. Feel free to e-mail me and share your own observations about these Scriptures. We can all learn something together and be blessed by our mutual love for Christ and His word.
Dr. Donald Whitchard
Donald was born and reared in the authentic “Cajun Country” of southern Louisiana. He is a graduate of Louisiana College (B.A. in History Education/ Biblical Studies, 1984), New Orleans Baptist Theological Seminary (M.Div. In Christian Education, 1994) and Andersonville Baptist Seminary (Doctor of Ministry, Biblical Exposition, 2000). He has been in the Gospel ministry since 1986, serving as an evangelist, interim and supply pastor, hospital and rescue mission chaplain, high school and college teacher, and pastor to churches in Louisiana and Oklahoma.
In 2018 he began to devote his time to Internet and social media evangelism and outreach. In 2021 he became a member of the Oklahoma Conference of Southern Baptist Evangelists, using his skills as a writer to contribute articles and sermons to websites such as Rapture Ready, Sermon Central, and Inspirational Christian Blogs. His YouTube webcast, “The Reality City Review”, a broadcast dedicated to teaching books of the Bible, can also be found on Facebook, Gab, Parler, GETTR, and Savior Connect. He writes Bible studies and curricula for churches in southeast and central Asia and Africa, the locations of which are anonymous. He can be contacted at: firstname.lastname@example.org for inquires, information, and speaking/preaching engagements. He can also be found at http://ocosbe.org/donald-whitchard/
HIs website is: www.realitycityreverend.com.
A copy of his resume is available upon request.